The first step on the path to RFID-enabling your core business processes is to schedule a no-cost assessment from S3Edge. This assessment involves the following:
- An on-site visit by S3Edge staff (typically full day visit).
- The primary objective for this visit is for S3Edge to observe and understand the physical movement of items as they flow through the operation and to understand and quantify the business efficiency lost and costs resulting from the lack of visibility of asset movement events.
- A follow-up report and demonstration will be developed that includes the following:
A demonstration of key workflows will also be provided upon the completion of the assessment using a light-weight customization of Spotlight Real Time Visibility and Control system to demonstrate how the system is envisioned to operate.
- Restatement of the key business problems observed and recommendation for how RFID technology can be applied to address those problems.
- Overview of the solution architecture proposed including software, hardware, RFID technology (readers & tags), customization/integration services, and enterprise system integration points.
- A parameterized cost estimate model for the solution will be developed and include software license fees, RFID reader and tag costs, customization/integration costs, and ongoing maintenance and support costs.
- A parameterized return on investment calculator that incorporates both the estimated cost of the system as well as its expected returns.
- Identification of any risk areas or areas where additional information is needed before a detailed quote can be provided.
- A set of recommended next steps
If risk areas or additional information is needed prior providing a detailed quote for a full system deployment, the recommendation will be to launch Phase-0 project with S3Edge. This engagement will focus on resolving the risk areas and obtaining the missing information identified during the assessment phase and typically involves S3Edge performing the following activities:
- Procure, calibrate and install a set of RFID readers and antenna at the client’s facility as needed for the Phase-0 project. Typically this hardware is provided on an on-loan basis for the duration of the Phase-0 project.
- Procure and provide a set of sample RFID tags to be used in the evaluation effort.
- Install and configure evaluation copies of the S3Edge Spotlight and Microsoft platform software (SQL Server, BizTalk RFID Server, BizTalk RFID Mobile, Silverlight, etc.) on a server physically located at the client’s facility.
- The primary focus of the Phase-0 effort is to deploy an observational system to monitor/confirm tag readability, monitor/confirm that the physical movement of items is well understood and that the proposed approach can be integrated easily within the existing operational workflows.
- The observational system and tests will be run for a period of time which can range from several days to several months depending on the information need to confirm, characterize and resolve the risk areas identified in the assessment.
- At the end of the Phase-0 project, a report is created which includes:
- A refinement of the material produced after the assessment phase - including a better quantification of the business problems an update and and solution architecture
- The parameterized return on investment calculator will also be updated to incorporate the new information captured during the Phase-0 engagement.
- A detailed cost quote for the full deployment including software licenses, RFID reader and tag costs, customization/integration services cost estimates, and ongoing maintenance and support costs will also be provided.
- Finely, a recommended phase deployment plan and first estimate of the project plan will be provided.
When you are ready for the full deployment S3Edge is there to be your single source provider for the end-to-end solution with the products and services including the following:
- Package Software Licenses
- S3Edge SpotLight Software (Spotlight Server, Spotlight Mobile and Spotlight Synchronization Server)
- Imbedded Microsoft Runtime Licenses (BizTalk RFID & SQL Server)
- Industry solution “starter applications” for selected markets
- Industry solution configuration, customization, and deployment services to extend the “starter application” with customer-specific business logic as needed
- Installation, integration and deployment services to deploy the application in the customers environment (legacy system integration services)
RFID Hardware and Tags (optional)
- Bug fixes, service packs, and feature releases
- Telephone hotline
- Hardware and software support
Hosting Services (optional)
- Fixed, handheld, and vehicle mount RFID readers and accessories
- RFID tags
- Amazon EC2 or Microsoft Azure